Thursday, May 22, 2014

Here We Are Again!

My name is Dyanne Fry Cortez. Since 1981, I've spent part of every spring at the Kerrville Folk Festival. I wrote down a lot of what happened there, to me and to my fellow musicians and campers. In 2000, I put a bunch of those stories in a book called Hot Jams & Cold Showers. It's my personal memoir, but in a way, it's also the story of a community.

Strange to think it's been fourteen years since that book rolled off the press. It doesn't seem so long. Surely I can't be that much older! But I was thumbing through my book a couple of weeks ago, stopping to read passages here and there, and I saw that time really has gone by. A lot of things have changed since I wrote that book. Still, the Kerrville Festival goes on, hasn't missed a year since it started in 1972, and I still come back to camp and enjoy the music every spring.

So I thought it would be fun to keep a running account of this 43rd festival. I'll quote some excerpts from my book (published last century!) and compare it to how things are today (who knew we'd ever have wireless Internet at the Kerrtry store? I remember when we used to stand in line, 6 or 7 deep, to get three minutes on a pay phone.)

I hope you'll join me on this journey. If you're here at the festival, stop by and give me a hug. If you can't make it, I'll see you online!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are doing this. I keep hearing that I should write a blog. I tell everyone I do, but I keep it on facebook ;) Manky and I were just hanging by the remaining pay phone in campground. I imagine that phone has delivered more lies to employers than any other phone..."I can't make it back on Monday because I'm (choose one) parked in, stuck in the mud, have a family emergency, have a broke down car, or everyone's favorite...a personal matter." I'm enjoying your stories so much, even though I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete